Here are a few tips for reducing the risk of your home or business being destroyed by a wildfire:
- Assemble an emergency kit and create a family communication or business continuity plan.
- When building your home or business, design it with fire safety in mind.
- Ensure that your business data is backed up and that you can restore the data.
- Close all indoor and outdoor openings, connect water hoses and fill anything you can with water.
- Gather all important documents and belongings and put them in the car for quick departure.
- Move flammable items and furniture to the center of your home or business facility and turn on all the lights.
Wildfires, unfortunately, are going to happen, and as with any disaster, the key to surviving them is to be prepared with a plan, both for your home and your business.
For more information on wildfires please visit www.ready.gov/wildfires, www.firewise.org/ and www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/fire/.