Gas leaks in homes and businesses are more common than you would expect.
Natural gas contains carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas that interferes with normal oxygen uptake, making it a silent assassin.To protect your employees and your business, it's important that you know how to detect, react and report a leak.
Start by following these tips from Consumers Energy.
- A blowing or hissing sound coming from the ground
- Dirt or dust blowing up from a hole in the ground
- Bubbling water in wet or flooded areas
- Dead plant life around your gas line
- A rotten egg odor
If you suspect a natural gas leak, take the following precautions:
Report the leak to your local gas company from a safe location. Remember, do not attempt to resolve the leak yourself.
- Evacuate the area immediately.
- Do not start your car near the gas line, because the spark from your ignition might cause an explosion.
- Do not use any electrical devices (light switches, telephones or appliances) for the same reason.
- Do not try to find the source of the leak or fix it yourself.
- If the natural gas ignites, do not attempt to put out the flames; just let it burn itself out.
Be aware of natural gas lines around your business and create an emergency plan so you can be prepared in the event of a gas leak.