People living in affected areas were advised to evacuate, leaving their communities at the mercy of the flames. Last year we provided you with these wildfire tips to help you protect your homes and businesses.
As wildfire season approaches once again, we'd like to share the following advice from National Geographic on how to prevent wildfires:
- Completely extinguish cigarettes and matches before throwing them away.
- Never discard smoking materials from a moving vehicle or near wooded areas.
- When leaving a campsite, douse campfire flames with water until cold.
- Do not leave active fires unattended.
- Make sure lighting and heating devices, such as lanterns, stoves and heaters, are cool before reheating.
- Avoid burning leaves or other types of yard waste in windy conditions.
- Keep a shovel, water and fire retardant nearby in case a fire does ignite.
- If you ever see any sign of an out-of-control fire, immediately contact 911 or your local fire department.